Welcome to Year 2 (Archive 14-15)
The Year 2 teachers are Miss James and Mrs Davies.
In year two we are learning to become more independent both academically and socially. Each morning begins with an ‘Early morning task’ this includes guided reading, responding to marking; fine motor activities, learning time’s tables and maths games. All our lessons are taught through a creative approach; this makes our lessons more meaningful and gives us a real love for learning!
Our current topic for this half term is Wind in the Willows. During this topic we will be taking part in lots of exciting activities and learning all about nocturnal animals.
PE this half term is cricket. Children will need their full PE kit as we will try to get outside as much as possible.
• Mathematics homework will be given out on a Wednesday and is due back on a Wednesday. Until Christmas, children will be given one sheet of homework a week to complete. All children will keep their homework folders in school and any homework sheets will be placed in these folders every week.
• Children will be given new spellings on a Monday and have a spelling test on a Friday. At times children may be given more than 10 spellings, they may not be tested on all of them, however it is crucial that these spellings are learnt every week.
• All children will also be given times tables each week to remember. These will be tested on a Friday with their spellings.
• Please remind your child to take their reading book out of their bag and place it in the correct box, so we know what books need to be changed.
• Please ensure that you try to read with your child every night, we will try to change reading books every day, however at times this may not be possible. Please bear with us if your child’s book is not changed in school that day, it will be changed as soon as possible.
• PE is on a Monday and a Thursday. Children are asked to leave their PE kits in school every week and only take them home at the end of a half term.
Trip to the Beach
Formby Beach was great fun! We went on a mini beast hunt, enjoyed a lovely picnic lunch in the sunshine and then walked to the beach for an afternoon filled with fun. At the beach we sketched the sea and the sand and then enjoyed taking part in a creative challenge, where we had to make a picture using some of the natural resources that we had collected in the woods. Finally to finish the day off everybody enjoyed a cool ice cream before getting back on the coach. Wow what a fantastic day!
The Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch
So far we have practiced retelling the story with actions and have explored the charters at different points in the story.
This week we have been looking at different types of puppets. We have designed, created and evaluated our own owl puppets. Once they were complete, we used them to help us tell a story to some children in Reception.
It was great fun in year 2 this afternoon, as we had a lovely visit from some very feathery (and spiky) friends! We enjoyed learning lots of new technical words, such as diurnal (day owls), nocturnal (night owls) and crepuscular (owls that are active during the day and night). We also learnt about the owls features and even got to have a hold of Alfie the barn owl. Our favorite owl was definitely Boo the HUGE European Eagle Owl.
We learnt lots of new skills whilst making our fruit salads in DT. We now know that the most important thing to remember when cooking is to be hygienic and safe.
We have really enjoyed looking at instructions this term. So far we have looked at the features of instructions, followed simple instructions and even written our own instructions to help Mike the monkey to get changed for PE. Next week we will be writing our own instructions for a fruit salad and then following them to create a healthy snack.
This week we have started looking at persuasive writing. We have looked at different adverts and leaflets and learnt what persuasion means. We then tried to persuade “Little Mr Upton” and “Little Mrs Ormerod” to keep first playtime. Luckily we succeeded… Phew! We are currently writing some super persuasive posters to convince some year 1 children to come and play in our role play farm shop.
The Farm Shop
Our topic this half term is called ‘The Farm Shop’. We are learning all about healthy eating and what plants need to grow. It has been great fun investigating the different number of seeds in fruits.
Recently we have been learning about the Great Fire of London. We have been looking at how the fire spread and even created our own Fire of London collage! Last week we had a visit from Mark and Mark, two firemen who work in Skelmersdale. They taught us all about fire safety in the home.
One of our targets this half term has been to tell the time to the nearest 5 minutes on an analogue and a digital clock.
We have been learning about the properties of 2 dimensional and 3 dimensional shapes in maths. We are super mathematicians!
We had great fun at our Christmas parties!
Recently we have enjoyed looking at two different pirate stories. So far we have read ‘The Night Pirates’ and ‘A New Home for a Pirate’. We have enjoyed acting out both of the stories using role play and puppets. At the beginning of the week we also had a special pirate visitor…Jed’s mum (a character from the book); we asked her lots of questions about herself and then did some writing about characters feelings. It was a bit strange; she looked a little like Mrs Davies!
Thank you for visiting our class page.