Welcome to Year 2!
Our class teacher is Mr Fyne and our teaching assistants are Mrs Dickson and Mrs Couch.
Our theme this half term is 'The Place where I live'. Throughout this half term we will be focusing on Geography, History, Art and Music. We will be learning about what homes, schools and playgrounds were like in the past. We will use Google Earth to look at maps of our local and area and we wil be visiting a local park and will come up with ideas of how we can improve it. We will be improving our observational drawing skills and turning our drawings into a print using 'Quickprint'. Plus lots more.......
Check back to your page to see what we have been getting up to in Year 2!
- PE takes place on a Monday and a Thursday and PE kits should stay in school.
- Reading..Reading....Reading. Children need to be reading every night at home. We have a brand new reading award and each week in gathering a child will be chosen in Key Stage 1 to receive a book prize, for a reason linked to reading.
- Spelling. All children will bring home a list of Year 1 and Year 2 Common Exception words. Please practice these words as these are the words that children need to be spelling correctly in their writing by the end of Year 2.
- Times Tables. We will be working on learning the 2, 5, 10 and 3 times tables. There are some good apps and songs on Youtube to help. Check out https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button
- Snack. At play time children can either bring in their own healthy snack or choose to pay 20p per day to choose a snack from our healthy snack trolley.
- Water Bottles. Water bottles can also be brought into class in a plastic bottle that is clearly labelled with a name and will be freely accessible throughout the day.
- Labels. Please make sure that all clothes are labelled, especially jumpers and cardigans, so that hopefully these do not go missing!
Dates for your diary
- Wednesday 19th September - Talk like a Pirate Day - Year 2 children are able to come to schools dressed as a pirate. We will be visiting Aaron Crest to read stories.
- Monday 15th October - Home Learning Challenges due in. Children are to design a new playground feature for Skelmersdale.
- Thursday 27th September(tbc) - Year 2 visit to local park.
- Friday 19th October - Break up for half term.
In English we have been reading the story of the Night Pirates. We enjoyed acting out different parts of the story and imagining what the characters would say.
We have enjoyed our first PE lessons as we start to learn a new dance.
We are learning about place value and worked with our partners to learn how to partition numbers into tens and ones, e.g 63 = 60 + 3. See if you can practice this at home with numbers up to 100.
We had to be historians and imagine what it would be like to live 110 years ago. We had to sort the photos into what would be in homes now and what were from homes in the past.
Our first maths lessons in Year 2 have been working with our partner or in small groups to solve maths problems.
As an introduction to our new theme, 'The Place where I live' we used Google Earth to find Skelmersdale and our own homes.
We have really enjoyed exploring our new Year 2 classroom and finding out the different activities that we can do during our challenge time.. We were also introduced to answering questions and Mr Fyne scanned our answers using 'Plickers' app and could see how many children got the answers right.