Welcome to Year 2
The Year 2 teacher is Miss James and the teaching assistant is Mrs McVeigh.
In year two we are learning to become more independent both academically and socially. Each morning begins with an ‘Early morning task’ this includes no nonsense spelling, responding to marking; snappy mathematics, learning times tables and handwriting. All of our lessons are taught through a creative approach; this makes our lessons more meaningful and gives us a real love for learning!
Our current topic for this half term is 'Explorers'. We will be having PE lessons on a Tuesday and a Wednesday. Children will need their full PE kit as we will try to get outside as much as possible. Please make sure that your children's earrings are removed before the PE session.
• All children will be given times tables to remember, this year we are concentrating on our 2, 3, 5 and 10 X tables. These will be tested on a Monday alongside their common exception words.
• Please remind your child to take their reading book out of their bag and place it in the correct box, so we know what books need to be changed.
• Please ensure that you try to read with your child every night, we will try to change reading books every day, however at times this may not be possible. Please bear with us if your child’s book is not changed in school that day, it will be changed as soon as possible.
• PE is on a Tuesday and a Wednesday. Children are asked to leave their PE kits in school every week and only take them home at the end of a half term.
• Children are given the option to have snack (toast, malt loaf, yoghurt or fruit) at playtime for a small fee of 20p per day. Alternatively they can bring a healthy snack such as fruit.
• We encourage children to also bring a water bottle to be kept in the classroom, they will be able to access this throughout the day.
Year 2 kicked off their new topic 'Explorers' by learning about the different planets and constellations in the stardome planetarium.
The Highway Rat
Our new topic in English is looking at stories by a familiar author. This week we have started looking at stories written by Julia Donaldson. Today we have been looking at the story 'The Highway Rat' working hard pretending to be police officers and interviewing the nasty Highway Rat.
We have enjoyed researching 'The Tomato Spider' and deciding if it was real or not. We now understand that anyone can put information on the internet and the information isn't always true.
In mathematics we have been learning how to divide by sharing and grouping different amounts. We are becoming much more confident, well done year 2!
We have been busy little elves in year 2 making our reindeer lollipops, Christmas tree decorations and reindeer candy canes for our Christmas enterprise.
This half term our topic is "Fighting Fit", we have been learning how to properly brush our teeth and wash our hands to remove all of the bacteria. We have really enjoyed writing some instructions explaining how to wash your hands thoroughly.
In English we have been writing our own "Twisted " fairy tales. So far we have read a range of twisted tales, compared the old tales to the new ones, thought about how characters feel and speak and interviewed the Big Bad Wolf from Little Red Riding Hood.
Hour of Code
We had fun taking part in an hour of code. Our favourite game was A.L.E.X.
Switch Off Fortnight
In Year 2 we have been creating a tally chart to show electrical items left on around school.
World War 2
During WW2 week, Year 2 learnt all about the Homefront. We made some WW2 rock cakes, learnt about the roles of women and children and wrote an acrostic WW2 poem.
Thank you to Mark, Brendon and Shane for teaching us all about fire safety!
Trip to the Park
Year 2 really enjoyed their trip to the local park!
We are enjoying learning to partition numbers in lots of different ways.
We are learning to program a robot along a path. So far we have programmed our friends to follow a simple obstacle course and then used our new skills to program a bee bot on the iPads. Well done year 2!
Year 2 really enjoyed their first peer massage session.
On Wednesday a very special visitor came into year two. She was one of the characters from the story 'A New Home For a Pirate'. We asked her lots of questions about her life, now we know much more about the pirate lifestyle!
Acting out pirate stories
We have worked really hard today to act out our new story "The Night Pirates" in English.
Sketching using different materials
We enjoyed using our sketchbook to draw the train using pencils and charcoal, next week we will be using "Sketches" and "Doodle Buddy" on the iPads to sketch some of the other playground equipment using a variety of different effects, before finally moving onto printing some of our wonderful drawings. Such budding artists!
We have been working really hard in maths to count up to 100 using base 10. Well done year 2!
What we will be learning to do this year
Thank you for visiting our class page.