Welcome to Year 3
Welcome to Year 3! Our teacher is Mrs Littler and our teaching assistant is Miss Fitzgerald. Year 3 is a very exciting year with it being the first year in the juniors! This year the class is made up of extremely enthusiastic children, who are very keen to learn.
Our topic this half term is There's No Place Like Home. In English, we will be reading Lancashire Folk Tales, carrying out a number of activities around them with a build up to writing our own folk tale.
We will also be looking at a range of other subjects within this theme including History and Geography. We will take a step back in time to learn about the history of Skelmersdale and how it has developed over the years. We will also be looking at a range of maps and looking at how maps have improved and developed.
Plus lots more…… Please check back to see what we get up to along the way.
- We have PE on Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning, but should always have our kit in school.
- It is extremely important that we read at home every night. When we have read at home 25 times we receive a bookmark and a book prize in gathering.
- We have a pupil of the week award which is announced in gathering and they are given a POW award. Other awards include Magic Maths, Handwriting Hero and Boss Behaviour which are also announced in gathering.
- At play time we can either bring in our own healthy snack or you may choose to pay 20p per day to choose a snack from our snack trolley.
- Water bottles can also be brought into class in a plastic bottle that is clearly labelled with a name and will be freely accessible throughout the day.
- Each week we will bring home times table homework and spellings.
- Our times table focus in Year 3 is our 4 and 8 times tables.
- We also need to keep practising ou 2, 5, 10 and 3 times tables.
Year 3 had lots of fun counting 5000 straws between them. We have been learning to count in fifties by playing a dice game. We became very competitive as the race was on for the first person to get to 1000 counting in fifties.
Year 3 have been using Google Earth and Digimaps for schools to look at different maps. They also used their postcode to locate their house on a map.
Maths - Counting in hundreds
Today we got a bit kidney bean happy! Our task was to work together to count 100 kidney beans, estimate how many beans in a second container and then count to check. We worked really well together!
Year 3 had fun acting out and performing the folk tale 'The Lancashire Giant.'
First year in the juniors and the children have made a good start by getting stuck in!
What we will be learning to do this year
Thank you for visiting our class page.